Firewall material

The original firewall blanket was old, greasy and didn’t even cover the full firewall.

I did a lot of research on various material to cover the firewall to protect against, heat, flame and sound.

I really liked a material from Aircraft Spruce, but of course it was not FAA approved.

I send a few pieces to a DER for testing and get the test report so now it IS approved on my aircraft.

I cleaned the firewall, cut the material and used 3M V77 adhesive spray to attach it.

Kydex interior

I have begun building the substructure to support the Kydex in the interior. I’m using 1/16” aluminum angle and flat stock. Those angles and flat stock will be held in place via adel clamps around the fuselage tubes.

In each of those I’m installing #8 nut plates every 4”. This will hold the .040 Kydex in place.

Design

I started dreaming about what the final product would look like, so I used my daughters ability to do digital drawing to play with paint schemes.

As you know I’m coving the aircraft in dark blue oratex fabric, so I started playing with White, Silver and Black as trim colors.

I also found a great site called www.aerographics.com that makes vinyl decals you just stick on the aircraft.

Below is the design I think we are closing in on. Note the Big “S” on the tail for Stinson!

Scrub, Scrub

Today I had the kiddos at the hangar helping me get the TOP BOW Assembly cleaned.

Before cleaning, I noticed that the “Tails” of the upper structure, where it joins the fuselage were both cracked, so I needed to make some quick patches to re-enforce that area.

We cleaned the aluminum with Eco Clean from Stewarts which helps remove dirt and grease. Over the next few days I will use the Stewarts Eco Etch, then alodine to prevent corrosion. For good measure I will also paint the assembly.

Time for a change

I have said from day one, this will NOT be a traditional Stinson 108. In fact, I want this to be a modern day twist on a classic aircraft. Of course in certified aircraft I can’t go crazy, but I would like to think of this aircraft being a kind of Next Generation.

That new mindset also made me consider renaming the aircraft. For 74 years she had been known of N97954, but if we are going to make a change, the a new name is required.

I did some searching on the FAA site for a new N number, but I’m sure you can imagine, the FAA site is not well setup for searching. I found a great site on an RV builders site called www.tailnum.com

On that new site, I found the new N number for my Project which has now been registered and mine.

N108NX

Legs

I needed to remove the legs bc I painted them back when the fuselage was media blasted and there was a bit of surface rust.

I decided to dye penetrant test them for cracks while I had them sanded down, none found.

Doors

I have really liked the patrol door look and since I had an extra set of doors I thought what the heck!

Example of patrol doors

There are two types of doors, framed and stamped, N97954 originally had the framed doors, but the parts I bought in OK had Stamped.

Framed on Left, Stamped on right

So I cut the cut the bottom panel out, then sanded the doors down and then some light body work.

I should have done this first, but I did a dry fit and the fit very well.

I did have to add some small body work as the doors were a little beat up over 70 some years.

Next will be ordering the dark tint plexiglass. The bottom will be held in with a seal on each side of the glass, and use of backing strips and hardware.

The upper window was originally a two piece window that slid, but I’m going with a one piece window and a Piper like flap window

Old then New

I have no idea if these brake lines were original or now, but they sure were old and brittle. I found a hose shop and had a new set made. Cost wasn’t too bad, about $180 for the 4.

The original hoses had a end that was also used to connect to the frame, but finding that fitting was difficult and if found, costly, so I used an AD832-4D to connect to the frame and the two hoses.

Old hose end in the foreground, and AN832-4D in the background