Stripping!

Beautiful day in Texas so while the pool was getting cleaned I decided to start stripping paint from the center windshield support.

I removed the compass supports and got everything stripped, next Alodine and prime!

Of course if I’m lucky enough to install the one piece windshield then this is a wasted effort!

Wood work

I made a new top piece for the windshield and the two side pieces where the air vents go. Coated them with Spar Varnish so they would be waterproof.

I was looking at my center windshield post and was wondering if someone had any idea what these 1/2 timmerman nuts are? How to get them out and how to replace them with new ones. Part number anyone?

Design

I started dreaming about what the final product would look like, so I used my daughters ability to do digital drawing to play with paint schemes.

As you know I’m coving the aircraft in dark blue oratex fabric, so I started playing with White, Silver and Black as trim colors.

I also found a great site called www.aerographics.com that makes vinyl decals you just stick on the aircraft.

Below is the design I think we are closing in on. Note the Big “S” on the tail for Stinson!

Scrub, Scrub

Today I had the kiddos at the hangar helping me get the TOP BOW Assembly cleaned.

Before cleaning, I noticed that the “Tails” of the upper structure, where it joins the fuselage were both cracked, so I needed to make some quick patches to re-enforce that area.

We cleaned the aluminum with Eco Clean from Stewarts which helps remove dirt and grease. Over the next few days I will use the Stewarts Eco Etch, then alodine to prevent corrosion. For good measure I will also paint the assembly.

Soda and patterns

Today, the weather in Dallas was PERFECT, so I got out the Harbor Freight soda blaster and worked on the light surface corrosion inside the vertical stabilizer. Only took about 45 minutes and a lot of dust, but the inside looked great after. Later I took it down to the airport and sprayed the inside with Zinc Chromate Primer (after flushing with water and drying of course).

I also “Dry fit” the OLD cargo floor and front wall to evaluate using aluminum to replace each and the use of Oratex as a side wall covering. I came to the conclusion that I may want to go with the original cargo canvas material, because if I cover the entire cargo area with Oratex, then getting into the aft fuselage may be difficult. I may use a local upholstery company to remake the cargo envelope.

I watched a video on YouTube about using this material used to protect new floors as a great thickness of cardboard to make patterns. Well I gout out my floorboards and made patterns. I plan this week to go to a local meta sales store and see if I can buy aluminum plate that is waste from drop cuts.

Considering everything from diamond plate, to smooth aluminum with anti skid material. Also considering either powder coating or cadmium plating. Stay tuned.

Oratex decision made

Tonight I also made a decision on Oratex. I decided to use the dark navy “Corsair” blue for the exterior and Bright Silver for the interior.

Yes, I plan to use Oratex for all the interior covering, it will be very light and provide more space is it is expressly thin, yet strong. Also easy to install inspection plate and such.

I tried to estimate some rough material needs with some measuring tonight. The material comes in two widths, 42” and 71”. Then you purchase in 1 meter linear lengths.

The 42” wide runs about $68 per liner meter.

Brake lines

Tonight I added some new Brake lines. The old ones looked original and very brittle. The old ones had a funky fitting to go through a bulkhead, but I replaced them with a standard AN832-4D union and nut which works much better and allows for standard fittings on the lines.

Glamor Shot!

I was out at the hangar tonight, working on Brake master cylinders and the Cleveland calipers. I put the fuselage out of the hangar in the grass so I could have more room to work. Well the Sun set was nice and I thought I would take a Glamour picture.

As she sits here, she has all new control cables installed with all new Pulleys. Also rebuild control column and Dual brake / rudder pedals.

Working on Floorboards and Brake lines now, next will be 1/2″ fuel lines and selector.