I made a new top piece for the windshield and the two side pieces where the air vents go. Coated them with Spar Varnish so they would be waterproof.

I was looking at my center windshield post and was wondering if someone had any idea what these 1/2 timmerman nuts are? How to get them out and how to replace them with new ones. Part number anyone?

Will Ware

Will Ware

I live in Rockwall Texas and I’m rebuilding a 108-1. I’m a Captain at Southwest Airlines but I LUV taildraggers.


Marcus Sab

Marcus Sab · April 7, 2021 at 10:59 am

Hi will,

Those tinnerman nuts seem to be used for mounting gauges too. I still don’t have a part number and I did a lot of searching online. With a sharp pair of needle nose pliers and a dentist’s pick tool, I managed to get mine off. I imagine it’s listed in the tinnerman nut count list that Stinson released but which one it is on that list is a mystery. I’m sure there’s someone out there who knows.

    Will Ware

    Will Ware · April 7, 2021 at 11:10 am

    Thanks Marcus, I have another center section I can steal parts from, but I think they are called a “J style” tinnerman. I will have to check next time Im at the hangar if they are PK or machine thread and what size unless you know that?

Leave a Reply