Today, the weather in Dallas was PERFECT, so I got out the Harbor Freight soda blaster and worked on the light surface corrosion inside the vertical stabilizer. Only took about 45 minutes and a lot of dust, but the inside looked great after. Later I took it down to the airport and sprayed the inside with Zinc Chromate Primer (after flushing with water and drying of course).
I also “Dry fit” the OLD cargo floor and front wall to evaluate using aluminum to replace each and the use of Oratex as a side wall covering. I came to the conclusion that I may want to go with the original cargo canvas material, because if I cover the entire cargo area with Oratex, then getting into the aft fuselage may be difficult. I may use a local upholstery company to remake the cargo envelope.
I watched a video on YouTube about using this material used to protect new floors as a great thickness of cardboard to make patterns. Well I gout out my floorboards and made patterns. I plan this week to go to a local meta sales store and see if I can buy aluminum plate that is waste from drop cuts.
Considering everything from diamond plate, to smooth aluminum with anti skid material. Also considering either powder coating or cadmium plating. Stay tuned.